The DUKW and the
A DUKW on the beach to make troops familiar
with this vehicle
One of the weapons that won the Second World War was,
according to Eisenhower, the amphibious vehicle D.U.K.W.
Because of its floating ability it was nicknamed 'DUCK'.
Deuce-and-a-half 353 which was the basis for the DUKW
Roger W. Hofheins brought its design for an amphibious
vehicle at the end of the thirty's of the last century to the
American government. But the United States were at that moment
not at war and were not interested in this project. But an
year later there were some funds created for the production of
a floating/driving vehicle. Under the supervision of Palmer C.
Putman, from the Office of Scientific Research and Development
and designer Roderic Stephens, a General Motors Corporation
CCKW 2.5ton 6x6 Deuce-and-a-half, the standard truck of the
American Army, was used totally refurbished to a floating
The screw of the DUKW gave
it a speed of around 10 km/h.
Propulsion in the water came from a screw. Its power came
from an 109 hp strong engine. Speed in water was around 10
km/h and 80 km/h on land. As a floating vessel it could transport
25 men, or more than 5000 pounds in cargo.
A neat feature on the DUKW was the capability to controle the pressure of the tires for different soils and roads.
This could be done from the inside of the cabin.
Detail of the dashboard,
with on the right the tire pressure gauge.
But the appearance
of the DUKW raised some eyebrow. But the scepticism would soon
disappear. When a DUKW was waiting for her test-drive, a ship
of the coastguard run into trouble near the coast of
Massachusetts. It was impossible to reach the helpless crew
and the coastguard asked for the assistance of the DUKW.
Within six minutes the DUKW arrived at the wreck and took the
stricken crew from board. It became prompt a very popular vehicle, the
'duck', and the Americans took it with pride into their
Testing was not only done in water, also on
The name DUKW stands for: 'D' = 1942, 'U' =
Utility / amphibious, 'K' = Front Wheel Drive, 'W' = Twin Rear
Driving Axles. In 1942 the first DUKW came of the production lines at General
Motor Corporation. $ 10.800 was the price at the time to built an DUKW.
Between 1942 and 1945, more than 21.000 were produced.
DUKW in Ouisterham (Museé Le Grand Bunker)
D-Day the Allies used 2583 of these vehicles. Harbours around
Normandy were for a long period inaccessible for big ships
because of the total destruction by the Germans of these
harbours. Cargo was unloaded near the coast into smaller
vessels, like the DUKW. These DUKW's would haul more then
three million tons (of the 16 million) between June 6, 1944
and the 8th of May, 1945 to the mainland of Normandy.
Inventive minds built two DUKW's into
one, to transport a P-38 Lightning
US Marine Corps LVT-1's near
The troopship USS President Hayes (AP-39)
lies on the horizon (7-9 augustus 1942)
After the hurricanes that hit Florida in 1926, 1928 and
1932, Donald Roebling, encouraged by his father John, starts
with a design for an amphibious vehicle for commercial use in
rescue work. The first 'Alligator' is finished in 1935. The
first test-drives were not impressive. As vehicle on land it
reached a speed of 40 km/h, but in water the vessel only moved
at an speed of 4 km/h. The engines were improved and the speed
in water was increased till 14 km/h in 1939. By that time the
US Marine Corps became interested in the project. In 1938 was
a proposal to the navy declined because of lack of funds at
the Navy's Bureau of Construction and Repair. So Roebling took
$ 18.000 out of his own pocket and builds another model.
Because of the threat of an imminent war in 1940, Roebling got
$ 20.000 for further development of the Landing Vehicle
The prototype of the 'Alligator'
In the same year a contract was signed for a first badge of
200 steel build LVT-1's. Together with the Food Machine
Corporation (FMC) and the Chemical Corp the LVT-1 was produced
from July 1941. The LVT-1 could carry 24 fully dressed
soldiers or 6000 pounds of cargo.
De LVT-1 during testing
The LVT-1 was in production
from 1941 till 1943. The first, almost 8 meter long LVT, was
propelled by an 146 hp strong Hercules engine, which gave the
vehicle a speed of approximate 30 km/h on shore and around 12
km/h in water. The propulsion in water was through scoops on
the tracks. Because these scoops stood a few inches on the
tracks, it was not really suitable for driving on hard ground
or on the road.
The propulsion scoops,...
The first LVT-1 was deployed on August 7, 1942 during the
military operation when they brought troops and cargo to the
shores of Guadalcanal. The LVT-(A)1 had an M3 light tank
turret atop its hull. At the rear it had two .30 machineguns
in 'manholes'. The US Marines replaced the 37mm canon with a
The LVT(A)1 with a 37mm
In 1941 de development of an improvement version, the LVT-2
was started. This was to become the basis for a whole series
of variants, running from the LVT-(A)2, LVT4, LVT-(A)4 and the
LVT-(A)5. These versions were produced with the Continental
W670 radial until 1945. The LVT-2 saw its first action at
Tarawa in November 1943 as haulier of cargo. The LVT-(A)2
'Water Buffalo' comes of the lines in 1942. This type was
armoured with and could hold 18 men. A total of 450 were built
by Roebling and Ford.
A British LVT 'Buffalo' comes out of the water
De LVT-4 had a loading ramp. There was room for 30 men or a
light vehicle. Great Britain received 500. The LVT-(A)4 had an
open gun turret of an M8 Motor Carriage. The Canadians
produced a type with a flamethrower instead of the gun turret.
The US Marines tested vehicles with rocket launchers on the
sides of the LVT-(A)4. There were some more modifications on
the later vehicles.
New LVT-4's of the 718th Amphibious Tractor Battalion
made ready at Okinawa for the attack on Japan
Some LVT-(A)5's were updated during 1949 and stayed in
service far into the fifty's.
Last of the two wrecks
at the Utah Beach Museum.
De gerestaureerde LVT in 2011 in het Utah Beach Museum
Near the Utah Beach Museum were two wrecks of LVT's (see the
picture above). The most coroded wreck has been removed in 2004, and there is only one left (which is being
restored in 2007 and not on site).
According to a text nearby they were testvehicles and they were used for a shuttleservice between ships
and shore and for operating in the flooded
aera behind Utah Beach.
The 'Buffalo' has been lifted from the River Maas
(Picture: Edwin van der Meer)
If you live in Holland or Belgium, you don’t have to travel all the way to Normandy
to look for a LVT. On the border of Belgium/Holland near Maas-Mechelen at a place called
Kotem stands a good preserved ‘Buffalo’. To locate this LVT take exit 33 on the A2-E314.
Drive into Maas-Mechelen, after 500 yards go right and head for Kotem. Near the highway
overpass a British LVT-4 ‘Buffalo’ can be found.
The 'Buffalo' near Kotem
In 1945 the LVT sunk into the river Maas during a training exercise. Two man would lost
there lives, the driver Phil Harding co-driver Stanley Clark. Harding was found some time
later, from Clark nothing was ever found. In June 1977 the LVT was located by the diving club
Jaws. The vehicle was drifted to the Dutch side of the river, but was secretly towed
to Belgium. It was restored and presented as a memorial in September 1977. In 2007 the LVT
was ones again restored and looks extremely good.
From the overpass a good view
can be made on the LVT
Below is an LVT in a private collection somewhere in Holland. As shown, a Jeep fits with eas in the LVT.
Click on te picture below for a view in the sober drivers cabin
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO LOOK AT A SHORT MOVIE
ON STARTING AN LVT IN 2019 IN HOLLAND: